Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Birthday Time!

Why hello! You probably thought I had abandoned you.Well I'm sorry. I've been very busy lately.  This past week I had a very bad case of strep throat, it was awful. Anyways, on March 20th, one of my younger brothers turned 5! He requested pizza and a Lightning McQueen cake. Since we try to eat as clean and healthy as possible, I made some homemade pizza. Here it is:
Pizza Dough Mix

6 Cups Flour (whole wheat of course!)
4 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
3/4 Cup Butter

Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in the butter.

You can refrigerate the mix in a jar for up to 10 days, or freeze it. I always make several batches and freeze it, that's just what I find is easiest.

To Use:
For each pizza mix 2 Cups of the pizza mix and 3/4 Cup milk. Turn onto a floured surface, knead, and roll out into a 12" circle. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, remove and top with anything and everything you like then bake again until cheese is melted. Note: Being as I am a lazy cook, I just mix the milk and pizza mix in the bowl, oil my pan, turn the dough onto my pan, and with oil on my hands spread it out.


Now if anyone is interested in making a Lightning McQueen Cake, this is what the one I made looked like.
Here is a better picture of the bridge Lightning McQueen is on.
Here is the recipe for the cake that I used:

Chocolate Chip Date Cake

1 Cup Dates, chopped
1 Tsp. Soda
1 Cup Hot Water
3/4 Cup Sugar (Sucanut if you have)
1 Cup Butter
2 Eggs
1 3/4 Cup Flour (Again, whole wheat!)
1 1/2 Tsp. Cocoa
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Vanilla
1 Cup Chocolate Chips ( I like dark ones)
1 Cup Chopped Nuts ( I left these out)

Pour hot water over dates; sprinkle soda over hot water; cover and let cool. Cream butter, sugar and eggs; add dates, mix thoroughly. Sift together flour, cocoa, and salt; add to creamed mixture. Add vanilla, chocolate chips, and nuts. Pour into a greased pan, or pans and bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

For my cake I iced it with whipping cream, sweetened with agave nectar. To color the coconut you simply place some coconut in a bag with a few drops of food coloring and shake. It doesn't take much color, so be careful. Well, have a good rest of the day, and enjoy your new recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment